IT Support Engineer - Kings Hill
Who are RDT?
RDT is a focused and successful Agile software company. It has been working in the UK insurance market for since 1991 and in this time, has been delivering highly innovative software and consulting solutions. RDT prides itself on being a disruptive force in the insurance market and has been at the forefront of many of the pivotal technology innovations. This is still true today as we continue to build industry changing products in our singular quest to Redefine Tomorrow. To find out more about us and what we do click here www.rdt.co.uk.
As part of RDT’s ongoing commitment to hiring the best people for every vacancy we have, we recognise that sometimes we need to be flexible and consider the particular needs of each applicant. If you think your skills and experience might match this role but need to work in a particular way; different hours or more flexibly – don’t not apply, give us a chance to see if we can match what you need before you count us out of your job search.
The IT Support Engineer role at RDT
Reporting to the Lead IT Support Engineer, this is an important, key position within the company. The role will be supporting RDT internal systems, private cloud, and Managed Services, as well as client deployed services both on premise and hosted deployments from first to third line.
This is a role within a small team with a large outlook on all aspects in the field of IT, from providing a replacement keyboard to designing a new platform solution for a brand new product.
What you’ll be doing
It is important that you have previous experience of working in an infrastructure support role maintaining ‘Business as Usual.’
The role will require good customer facing skills due to supporting various customer solutions. The role will require a good telephone manner and occasional visits to customer premises.
Personal attributes should include a “can do attitude” combined with flexibility whilst being task oriented and committed, ensuring agreed targets and SLAs are met.
You will have the following responsibilities:
• Contribute to the IT Department in maintaining a seamless and risk and failure free service to all RDT users and managed clients at all times
• Provide a reactive and proactive service for all managed clients and RDT users
• Provide first and second line support for internal Workstation/Server applications and Hardware.
• Provide second line support for RDT’s managed service clients
• Register and classify received service tickets and undertake an immediate effort to restore a failed IT services as quickly as possible
• Escalate to 3rd level when necessary in a timely and efficient manner
• Ensure end users are kept informed in an agreed and effective way
• Engage with and manage 3rd Level Support (expert Technical Support Groups, or 3rd party vendors) when necessary and appropriate to the need or risk being managed
• If appropriate, work closely with external providers to ensure stoppage time is kept to a minimum, ensuring learning’s are taken and improvements made to eliminate the issue on an ongoing basis where possible
• Involvement in projects including for 2020 – Cloud migration / expansion Projects, Managed service builds and deployments, MS Teams PSTN integration, IT and Business Orchestration /Automation tasks, plus internal development initiatives.
• Manage and report on managed customer environments
• Implementation of RDT Products to new and existing customers including product upgrades and full releases.
• Input into technical health-checks both internally and externally for clients.
• Input into solution design authority, for direction of new products being produced.
• Reporting progress to line Manager. Good communication with other RDT staff and, when required and appropriate, RDT clients.
What we need from you
o Experience and successful delivery of 1st – 3rd Line Support on an individual basis and via team members
o Working and supporting solutions within a service oriented architecture
o Strong sense of service and delivery – ‘owning a problem’ through to delivery and resolution
o A tenacious manner
o Hands-on working knowledge/experience required of:
o Windows 7 / 8 / 10 Desktop OS
o Microsoft Office Applications
o Visual Studio
o Windows 2008 - 2019 Servers
o Office 365 (Mail, Sharepoint, One Drive, Teams)
o SQL Server 2008 R2 -2019
o Virtualisation Technology (HyperV and vmware.)
o Microsoft Azure
o Workstation / Laptop Hardware
o Servers Builds (HP/Dell)
o SAN Technology
o Active Directory, DNS, DHCP
o IIS Server
These are not essential to the role but is a definite plus if the candidate has any experience of the following:
o Data Protection Manager
o Firewalls / Proxies (Sophos, TMG, Watchguard)
o Vmware vCloud Director
o Meraki Networking (Switch Hardware, vLANS, Routing)
o System Centre (Operations Manager / Configuration Manager)
o Microsoft Accreditations
o Project management experience
o Experience of Agile Development practices
What’s in it for you?
You will have the opportunity to help shape the direction and approach of IT and Infrastructure within RDT. You will work with a strong team delivering high Quality software products in a fast-paced environment. You will be working with sharp and innovative people who are dedicated, driven and more than happy to share their knowledge with you. You will be expected to be the best you can be and will be encouraged and supported to achieve this.