School of Mathematics, Statistics & Actuarial Science
Salary: £34,804 to £48,114 per annum
Grade: Grade 7 to Grade 8
Post Type: Full Time
Contract Type: Permanent
Release Date: Friday 09 April 2021
Closing Date: 23.59 hours BST on Tuesday 11 May 2021 (unless otherwise stated)
Interview Date: Wednesday 02 June 2021
Are you passionate about researching and teaching Algebra (interpreted in a wide sense) and would you like to develop in a friendly, internationally recognised, supportive environment? Then why not join the School of Mathematics, Statistics and Actuarial Science (SMSAS) at the University of Kent.
Our school is seeking to appoint a Lecturer in Mathematics to start on 1 August 2021 (or later by agreement). The successful candidate will join our Mathematics group which currently consists of 17 permanent academics. The Mathematics group has a broad range of research interests which include Algebra, Analysis, Integrable Systems, Mathematical Physics, and Topology.
The post holder will be expected to make a strong contribution to teaching and administration within the Mathematics group in the school. They will be expected to participate in the development and delivery of all our existing programmes. They will inspire our students through enthusiastic teaching in our collaborative environment.
The Mathematics group has a strong reputation for world-leading research in Algebra, specialising in Representation Theory, Invariant Theory, Poisson Geometry and Quantum Groups, and Algebraic Topology. We invite applications from outstanding researchers who would like to further develop our world-class research environment within our friendly and inclusive community. We welcome candidates with research interests that complement or enhance the Algebra group’s existing research strengths.
As Lecturer in Mathematics you will:
• undertake teaching of both undergraduate and postgraduate students, including the development of new modules and providing support for student learning.
• develop and extend your existing successful research career, writing research papers of the highest quality and securing external funding.
• collaborate with colleagues in the School on course development, delivery and assessment, taking on appropriate management and administrative responsibilities.
To succeed in this role you will have:
• PhD in Mathematics
• possess sufficient breadth or depth of specialist knowledge in the discipline to work within established teaching programmes
• research experience in a thematic area aligned to Algebra (interpreted in a wide sense) and recent track record of publication in leading international journals
The School of Mathematics, Statistics and Actuarial Science has a rich research and teaching culture in Mathematics and Statistics. It has a vibrant Mathematics group that holds several major grants from EPSRC. It runs active research seminar series on diverse topics in Mathematics, and regularly hosts international conferences and workshops. The School is located in the purpose-built Sibson Building, which provides modern workspaces for research, teaching and collaboration.
The SMSAS is widely recognised for promoting equality and diversity in mathematical sciences and statistics and currently holds an Athena SWAN Silver Award. The University of Kent holds a Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) gold award, and Mathematics/Statistics at Kent is ranked the 26th in the UK by the Complete University Guide in 2021.
Please see the links below to view the full job description and to apply. For further information regarding the application process please contact The Resourcing Team on [email protected] quoting ref number: CEMS-050-21